[cups.general] Open url in browser on print send

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Oct 16 00:41:14 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:08:15PM -0700, Michael Sweet wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Lachlan Macwhirter wrote:
>
> > Hi, apologies if this should be in a different forum. I have a
> > printer set up in cups that I can send too via ipp. Would it be
> > possible to have jobs sent to this printer return a url to the
> > sender and have the sender open that url in a browser?
> >
> > Basically want to print the job, have the printer render the job as
> > an image and return a url to the sender pointing at that image.
>
> Sorry, but that's not possible through CUPS.  You can define an RPC
> mechanism for a backend to talk to a user application, but that
> generally would only work on the local system and you'd need to be
> sure you are talking to the owner of the job (unless you don't care
> about privacy issues...)

I respectfully disagree : any backend already knows the jobid, print
queue name (and user name), so can retrieve the job-originating-host-name
and job-originating-user-name attributes for a job through a single
IPP_GET_JOB_ATTRIBUTES query to http://localhost:631

Once these values are known, your backend can interact with a client
side application which expects incoming connexions from the print
server (your backend).

bye

Jerome Alet