[cups.general] Several questions about browsing protocols

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Fri Oct 16 06:17:30 PDT 2009

Hello list.

I'be been playing another afternoon to solve browsing protocols issues
between a linux cups server and macos clients.

I remember my previous discussion on this topic:
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s18060+gcups.general+v18079+T0

First, here is a patch to documentation, mentioning that defaults are
build-dependendant.

Second, I've trouble figuring out the relationships between
BrowseProtocols, BrowseLocalProtocols and BrowseRemoteProtocols
settings. Is the first one used as default for the two others ? Or is it
the list of valid protocols usable by the two others ?

Given the following exemple:
BrowseProtocols x y
#BrowseLocalProtocols x
BrowseRemoteProtocols y z
What will be the actual values ?

Third, rather than asking all my macos clients to change their settings
to include cups protocol, I've tried to make the linux server uses dnssd
also, by specifying "BrowseProtocols cups dnssd". However, this didn't
worked, and I didn't found any additional network packet for this
protocol. Apparently, this is only possible if dnssd support is
available at build-time, which is false in my case. An explicit error
message in the logs would have been useful here for detecting the issue...

--
BOFH excuse #133:

It's not plugged in.