Detect conncected printer

Tobias Frost tofr at gmx.de
Sun Oct 18 12:04:12 PDT 2009

Hi!

I have dedicated hardware rinning as a cups print server. I have two parallel-port printers connected to this server, however as it has only one parallel port, they are connected through a mechanical switch.

I want to auto-detect which printer is connected and automatically take this one printer online when the switch is turned to avoid "garbarge-printing" ...

Currently I do not know how to solve this, so maybe one can point me into the right direction...

Idea:
- Cronjob checking which printer is connected
(problem: How do I probe printers? Plug-n-play of the module parport is only done at boot time..)

Thanks for your hints!