HP printers in SOLARIS 10 under cups 1.1.20

Rainer Blaes Rainer.Blaes at astrium.eads.net
Mon Oct 19 04:03:42 PDT 2009

Dear all,
since I still trying with more or less success to compile cups 1.4.1 for Solaris
10 I installed in the meantime from the Solaris 9 companion DVD cups 1.1.20 for
our printers from XEROX and HP.
By copying some XEROX .ppd files to /opt/sfw/cups/share/cups/model we are able
to setup the XEROX printers via the GUI where we find the relevant drivers under
the Model XEROX menu.
Now we want to do the same procedure with our HP printers:
Although we put some HP .ppd files to ../share/cups/model Dir they didn't appear
in the GUI's Model HP submenu.
Instead of that we see only the "foomatic/hpijs" models stored under /opt/sfw/cups/share/cups/model/hpijs/HP.
Why? and 2nd question: Is there any way to force the GUI to accept also the HP .ppd files under ../share/cups/model Dir.
THX, Rainer