HP printers in SOLARIS 10 under cups 1.1.20

Rainer Blaes Rainer.Blaes at astrium.eads.net
Mon Oct 19 05:25:25 PDT 2009

> Rainer Blaes wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > since I still trying with more or less success to compile cups 1.4.1 for
> > Solaris 10 I installed in the meantime from the Solaris 9 companion DVD
> > cups 1.1.20 for our printers from XEROX and HP.
> > By copying some XEROX .ppd files to /opt/sfw/cups/share/cups/model we are
> > able to setup the XEROX printers via the GUI where we find the relevant
> > drivers under the Model XEROX menu.
> > Now we want to do the same procedure with our HP printers:
> > Although we put some HP .ppd files to ../share/cups/model Dir they didn't
> > appear in the GUI's Model HP submenu.
> > Instead of that we see only the "foomatic/hpijs" models stored under
> > /opt/sfw/cups/share/cups/model/hpijs/HP. Why? and 2nd question: Is there
> > any way to force the GUI to accept also the HP .ppd files under
> > ../share/cups/model Dir. THX, Rainer
>
> I had no problems with HP printers under CUPS 1.1.19 and Solaris 9/10.
> Please post (an URL to) a PPD which will not be detected by your CUPS
> 1.1.20.
>
> Helge

THX, Helge. Had a wrong .ppd File downloaded from any location. In the meantime
I learnt to use openprinting.org and everything is fine now!!!

By the way since you are using also Solaris systems: Tried to compile foomatic-
filters 4.0.3 for Solaris 10 5/09 but got a compilation error:
ghostscript/iapi.h no such file or directory

But Ghostscript 8.70 is installed via package manager. Does this mean that one
has to compile the source code to have this iapi.h file?

Greetings, Rainer