[cups.general] Several questions about browsing protocols

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 22 10:06:00 PDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> BrowseProtocols sets both the local and remote protocols.
>> BrowseLocalProtocols and BrowseRemoveProtocols set the corresponding
>> ones only.
> Which means BrowseLocalProtocols and BrowseRemoteProtocols are ignored
> if BrowseProtocols is set ?

Not exactly.  The current implementation uses the last value in the
cupsd.conf file, so:

     BrowseProtocols foo
     BrowseLocalProtocols bar

will set BrowseLocalProtocols to "bar" and BrowseRemoteProtocols
(implicitly) to "foo".  However, if you do the lines in a different
order:

     BrowseLocalProtocols bar
     BrowseProtocols foo

then both BrowseLocalProtocols and BrowseRemoteProtocols will be "foo".

> Do you mean on linux exclusively, or in general ? In the later case, I
> don't understand what's the usefulness in advertising printers with a
> protocol no one can use to discover them...

In general - we don't auto-discover Bonjour/DNS-SD queues in cupsd.
Instead, users are expected to manually add those shared queues they
are interested in, and the dnssd backend provides discovery instead.

> BTW, what about the documentation patch, and the request for a warning
> when using unsupported protocols ?

Please file separate bug reports on cups.org:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

That will ensure that your requests don't get lost in the flood of
email...