How to start using CUPS?

Elly K trcmrekb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:12:14 PDT 2009

Hello list,
I am a mainframe programmer and we've got CUPS installed on the Linux side of the mainframe.  I know some Java and my boss wants me to create an application to print PDF documents using the CUPS software.  So I would like to know a few things and I would appreciate if you could help me with it.

1) Is there a manual or something where I can start reading on how to use cups?
2) I have a windows PC.  If I want to test my application locally, do I need a Linux box?
3) If the printer is jammed or runs out of paper or gets disconnected from the network, will CUPS notify my application of the error?

Thanks for your time,
EK