Rejecting A4 Paper Size

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Oct 26 13:08:19 PDT 2009

Acton H.  Gorton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am maintaining several public printers in a university environment, with
> a great deal of international students. Many of them are sending print
> jobs to the public printers in A4 print size.
>
> Because we only support standard letter size (8.5" x 11"), the jobs being
> sent to the printer are causing a "Load A4 Paper Size" error, and it hangs
> the printers until someone physically goes to the printers throughout the
> building and cancels the jobs.
>
> I've read through the documentation and tried Googling for answers, but I
> don't see any way to reject A4, or at least only accept standard letter
> size.
>
> Anyone have any advice?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ace

If you have only PostScript printers which support at least language
level 2, it is quite easy to force the printers to scale down and center the
pages to the available media size (ask me for a job patch file to put into
the printer's PPDs).
If this precondition does not hold, it would be possible to implement a
special filter which feeds the job through Ghostscript to determine the page
sizes used (not the bounding box!) and aborts the job if the job contains
pages of sizes other than letter (ask me for details).

Helge