[cups.general] Setting IPP printer with CUPS on RHES 4.0

Denny Snyder wolverine at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 28 13:07:33 PDT 2009

I take it you're attempting to print to an IPP printer such as to a newer JetDirect or newer intregrated JetDirect?

Make sure you put the correct device URI in ...  (I usually create a /etc/hosts entry for each printer so I don't have to use IPs or FQDNs)

So if the printer is pingable as printer1.domain.dom and supports IPP then the device URI would (should) be:
ipp://printer1.domain.dom/ipp/

that's it :)

at least that's what the JetDirects accept..  for others they sometimes use a different style such as not ending /ipp/ or use /ipp/raw - you'll have to check the documentation for those.

All of this is painfully easy to setup through the cups web interface at https://serverip:631 (provided cupsd is running AND iptables has an allowance for your source IP to port 631 AND cupsd.conf has an allow for your IP or subnet to access the admin pages within cups! - lotsa gotchas there that can promote immediate hair loss :) easiest?  Ssh in (with a -X just in case) and run firefox https://localhost:631 and have it come back to your xserver..  I use xming for my xserver and putty - this way you don't have to do any iptables or cupsd.conf stuff...  localhost is always allowed by default.

Good Luck!

Denny Snyder
IT at Johns Hopkins
5801 Smith Ave Suite 3110C