[cups.general] Setting IPP printer with CUPS on RHES 4.0

Denny Snyder wolverine at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 28 18:51:50 PDT 2009

The only difference in printing IPP vs lpd or socket or however you have it setup now is choosing IPP from the dropdown selection box in the CUPS web interface and then giving it a proper device address URI.  i.e. lpd://ipaddress:raw or socket:://printername:9100 or http://blahblahblah

I used printer1.domain.dom as an example...  so if I put an entry for newprinter in /etc/hosts on the CUPS server, my IPP device URI would be ipp://newprinter/ipp/ (trust me, I have 94 printers per server on 9 servers and I'm constantly going in and modifying printers)

The device URI is entered in the 2nd or 3rd screen when you create a printer...

Name, Location, Description
Protocol Selection (Appletalk/JetDirect, IPP, HTTP, etc)
Device URI
Manufacturer
Model

Denny Snyder