[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3379: SetEnv GS_LIB does not work because CUPS sets this variable on its own

Alexander Leidinger Alexander+cupsPR at Leidinger.net
Mon Oct 19 06:01:04 PDT 2009

[STR New]

To print non-embedded fonts on a non-PS printer, I need to have my own
GS_LIB env variable setup, so that ghostscript is able to find those
fonts. Unfortunately PassEnv and SetEnv for GS_LIB do not work in
cupsd.conf. This is because CUPS seems to override any setting of GS_LIB.
The expected behavior of CUPS is either
  - using the user-supplied variable of for external tools (GS_LIB is one
of those, there may be others) for any variable which is also used
internally
or
  - adding the internally used settings to the user-supplied content (in
case of GS_LIB this can be something similar to "export
GS_LIB=/cups/path/to/fonts:${GS_LIB}" to let the CUPS font take precedence
over any user supplied one; or "export
GS_LIB=${GS_LIB}:/cups/path/to/fonts" to let the user override any CUPS
font... the last one would my preferred fix).

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3379
Version: 1.3.11