[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3388: Cups 1.4 only prints one job (foomatic) or every other job (splix)

cb cb47492 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:15:05 PDT 2009

[STR New]

I upgraded to Cups 1.4.1 on my Arch64 system, with kernel 2.6.31.

Now when I try to print to my Samsung ML-1740 using the foomatic driver,
Cups only prints one job and then stops working. In the Cups
administration window it shows that all subsequent jobs have completed (as
if successful), but actually prints nothing. If I turn the printer on and
off or unplug the usb cable and plug it back int, then Cups prints one
more job and then stops working again.

With the splix driver Cups prints every other job, but like with foomatic
shows all jobs as successfully completed, whether they actually printed or
not.

I also downloaded the Unified Driver directly from Samsung. With this
driver all jobs print as expected. Unfortuantely this is not a great
solution for me, because I actually get the best printing results with
foomatic. With the splix and Unified Driver the printing is way off center
on the page. With foomatic it's slightly off center but much better.

I had no problems with Cups 1.3 and the old foomatic drivers.

Other people using Arch are also experiencing this problem, see:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16107

Driver packages installed on my system are:

foomatic-db 4.0.3_20090904-2
foomatic-db-engine 4.0.3_20090904-2
foomatic-db-nonfree 4.0.3_20090904-2
foomatic-filters 4.0.3_20090904-2