[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3394: Dot-notated option choices cannot be set as default

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:41:11 PDT 2009

[STR New]

The attached PPD file I got from HP for testing. It contains page sizes
with several margin variants: A4, A4.Duplex, A4.FB (full-bleed). It is no
problem to select these by the command line or the equivalent IPP
attributes on a per-job basis ("lpr -o PageSize=A4.Duplex ...").

The problem is to use them as PPD defaults. If the PPD file contains

*DefaultPageSize: A4.Duplex
*DefaultPageRegion: A4.Duplex
*DefaultImageableArea: A4.Duplex
*DefaultPaperDimension: A4.Duplex

and no page size is specified for the job, CUPS adds
"media=adobe_A4.Duplex_XXXxYYYmm" (XXX and YYY is the paper size as
defined in the PPD file) to the job attributes/filter command line and
then none of the filters recognize the page size. The job comes out with a
random or unwished paper size (or perhaps the default one for some
drivers).

It looks like that the paper size is converted to some form of
standardized size name (PWG?) but this is not needed or wished here, as
the size is well defined in the PPD file.

The dot notation is defined in the Adobe specs for PPDs and is exactly
what we are having here: Slightly differing variants of a choice. The PPD
file also does not complain about A4.Duplex, and the warnings for the
other page sizes make the impression that cupstestppd understands the dot
notation.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3394
Version: 1.4.1