cups 1.4 will not detect printer

Matthew pyther24 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:56:54 PDT 2009

Hello!

I upgraded from cups 1.3.11 to 1.4 to find out that my printer would not print anything. After doing some research it appears that cups can not find my printer. I get "Processing - "Waiting for printer to become available..."" in the webgui. I removed all configs in /etc/cups/ and reinstalled cups 1.4. When I went to add a printer, it did not detect the usb printer.

Here is my error.log (debug): http://pastebin.com/m37775cb0

I am running Arch Linux. I have a Brother HL-2140 using the hpijs-pcl5e driver.

dmesg output:

dmesg | grep usblp
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0033
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
usblp0: removed
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0033

If I install cups 1.3.11 everything works fine, I do not even need to reboot, just restart the cups server.

Let me know what other information is needed.