[cups.general] Snow Leopard doesn't automatically add printer

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Thu Sep 3 14:43:39 PDT 2009

>   Under Tiger and Leopard, after I install our company's printer
> driver software, I can plug in the printer via USB and it will be
> automatically added to the system. This no longer happens under Snow
> Leopard; the printer can be manually added, but it will not add it
> automatically for the end-user and I'm  not sure why. Any help or
> tips would be appreciated.

I have not looked at Snow Leopard in any kind of depth yet. So I can
not confirm this behavior.

As a possible fix you could look at using PrinterSetup to build a
package which you could then run on all systems which may use this
printer. Just a possibility.

Otherwise. You may need to show people how to add a printer.
Regardless, of whether or not you work out a way to automate the setup
of the printer, knowing how to add a printer is probably a good skill
people to have, particularly if they are using a laptop,