unable to install printer

Ken vk7krj at users.tasmanet.com.au
Tue Sep 8 06:48:01 PDT 2009

Hi, I am a newcomer to linux, I have just made myself a 4Tb nas box and web server using ubuntu server 9.04, it was an enjoyable learning curve over the last couple of weeks, and the web server and file server are both running ok.

Not so getting the cups print server set up though- I keep getting an error message

"Unable to copy interface script- no such file or directory"

I have spent longer on this than I did learning to setup all the rest. I tried first using the web interface, with the relevant .PPD file on my windows box, first in it's own folder, then in the root of c: drive.
Then I discovered "links2', which runs on the ubuntu server- it also fails with exactly the same error, even though I have copied the .PPD file to the server.
The permissions on the .PPD file are read & write by everybody and his dog, I have tried it in various folders on the linux box, but still the same error message. Is it possible it is talking about the location where it is trying to put this file?

I tried the ubuntu server forum, no help there so I thought (hope!) the cups forum might be able to help. Any suggestions that will help would be gratefully received- while I still have a little hair left!!

Thanks, Ken
www.vk7krj.com