[cups.general] Create_Printer_Subscription: Forbidden

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 8 08:26:10 PDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:07 AM, John A. Murdie wrote:
>> Where are the requests coming from?
>>
>> On Sep 7, 2009, at 8:24 AM, John A. Murdie wrote:
>>
>>> We've just had an incident with our CUPS 1.3.11server. The error_log
>>> and error_log.O are full of:
>>>
>>> Create-Printer-Subscription: Forbidden
>>>
>>> messages (and the previously-reported:
>>>
>>> Bad request line "^W^C^A" from P.Q.R.S
>
> Alas, I don't know what provoked the 'Create-Printer-Subscription:
> Forbidden' message - perhaps if I'd had LogLevel set higher than
> 'info', I might do. The previously-reported (STR #3288) bad request
> lines are marked with the IP addresses of our various Linux clients.
>
> I'll just have to bit the bullet and try to develop enough
> understanding to track these things down. I wonder whether the
> 'Create-Printer-Subscription: Forbidden' is just a symptom of the
> scheduler memory leak we see.

Unlikely, but any Forbidden error should be logged in access_log with
the IP address so that would be a place to start.

It would also be useful to do a run-time leaks check; on Mac OS X I'd
just recommend using the "leaks" tool for this, but I'm not sure if
similar tools are available to dynamically check a process for leaked
memory without stopping it...