How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4, OS X 10.6

Ben BW benbwster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:26:04 PDT 2009

> Ben BW wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use the backend described here:
> > http://osdir.com/ml/printing.cups.devel/2004-10/msg00007.html
> >
> > to create a PostScript print-to-file print queue.
> >
> > However, Snow Leopard and CUPS 1.4 seems to have "improved" security, and
> > I can't get the backend to work. It has also broken Adobe's PDF-generating
> > print queue -- part of Acrobat.
> >
> > I'm surprised that it isn't easier to use CUPS to create a PS-to-file
> > print queue, and also that there seems to be very little info on how to
> > achieve it.
> >
> > The printing seems to work fine, but no file is produced and no errors are
> > reported.
> >
> >> I think I'm misinterpreting how to implement the bit at the end which
> >> says:
> >>A more advanced "dirwrite" would write into a target directory
> >> that you specify as a device URI like here "dir:/tmp/cupsfiles/"
> >>
> >> The magic line for this would be to use
> >>
> >>TARGETFILE=${DEVICE_URI#dir:}
> >
> > Any thoughts/advice?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I'm just writing a print-to-file backend (which permits, in addition, to
> save the print job in a variety of file formats conveted to by e.g.
> pstoany), which changes its identity to the owner / group of the
> destination directory of the file to be written. I'm going to do my tests
> on both a SuSE 11.1 and Mac OS 10.5, and I think I can release it
> for bet testing at the beginning of next week.
>
> Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.
>
> Helge
>
> P.S.: the final version will be published at sourceforge.

Errrr.. I can't find a way to get your email address from this forum. Obviously, you probably don't want to post it in plain view. I googled your name, and tried sending something to H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de, but that didn't work.
Do you want to let me know the name of your project, and I'll look it up on sourceforge when it goes live?