How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4,OS X 10.6

Ben BW benbwster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:51:31 PDT 2009

> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
> Yeah, we've been asking Adobe not to do what they are doing for many
> years now...

Is your problem with the print queue itself, or how they implement it?

> Most apps already have this functionality.  In particular, you can
> print to PDF or PS from the Mac OS X print dialog (that funky looking
> PDF button does all of this...)

I'm aware of the PDF button and PDF Services in OS X, but having a print queue is much more useful for batch processing.

Also, some apps produce different output from Save As PDF than from Save As PS. The PDF version seems to use more screen

Yes, the _lp user doesn't have permission to save files in the user domain. I'm saving the files under /Users/Shared. I think I may have finally nailed it.

(FYI, I save PS files to a Distiller Watched folder. The OUT folder has a Folder Action, which checks the page size of the PDF using Spotlight, and then runs an Imposition program called "Imposition Wizard", with different parameters depending on the PDF page size. The result is then saved in another folder.)