[cups.general] User Unable to Print

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Sep 11 01:40:47 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Sep 10 07:22 Ken wrote (shortened):
>> On Sep 9 08:12 Ken wrote (shortened):
>>> I have a cups server configured on a SUSE Linux machine
>>> successfully serving several SUSE and Redhat clients.
>>> One user on a SUSE client cannot print.
>>> If I try to run "lpstat -a" as that user I get the message
>>> "lpstat: Unable to connect to server".
>>> Other standard users on the system have no problem ...
>>
>> Does it work to run "lpstat -h server -a" as that user
>> where server is either you server's name or its IP?
>>
>> If yes, I assume somewhere for this user there is
>> another CUPS server specified.
>> The usual suspects in this case are
>> the CUPS_SERVER environment variable or
>> a ServerName line in ~/.cupsrc or since CUPS 1.2
>> in ~/.cups/client.conf compare
>> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.2/ref-client-conf.html
>
> The user did have a .cupsrc file in his home directory.
> I deleted it and all is good.

FYI:
Note that various application programs or destop tools
may write to ~/.cupsrc via whatever printing dialogs
(e.g. the user can set a print server in KDE printing dialogs)
so that the user could again specify a wrong print server.
For some background information compare
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner