[cups.general] How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4, OS X 10.6

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 11 11:28:47 PDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:54 AM, Ben BW wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>> You'll probably see some sandboxd errors in the console log.
>
> Yes, I'm getting:
>
> bash(295) deny file-write* /Users/Shared/postscript/In/filename.ps
>
> Any way around this?

Not currently.  The best chance of seeing this changed is to file an
Apple bug report asking for the default profile to be relaxed to allow
writes to /Users/Shared:

     http://bugreport.apple.com

>> but otherwise it should work as long as you write
>> to either a world-writable (temp) directory or use mode 500 or
>> 700 permissions to get your backend to run as root.
>
> Sorry if I'm being dense: what should I give 700 permissions to?
> The backend itself? It's already 755 and owner is root, group is
> wheel.

The backend - when CUPS sees the backend as executable only by root,
it will run it as root.

> Or should I change the user to root in cups.config? That sounds a
> little overkill to get a process to write to a world-readable
> directory!

Yeah, you don't want to do that, and it won't help since the sandbox
profile prevents writes to /Users.