Error printing chinese fonts

Steve Nicolai nicolai at sunflower.com
Tue Sep 15 20:14:55 PDT 2009

I've set up cups on Fedora 11 (cups 1.4rc1 I believe) to print to my LaserWriter 320, an appletalk printer via pap.  When I set this up, I copied the PPD file for the LaserWriter 320 from a MacOS 10.5 install.

I've then set up a MacOS 10.5 machine to print to this queue.  If I open up textedit and type a short english sentence, printing via the Fedora print server works fine.

If I add a few chinese characters to the document to be printed, the job does not print, and I get no error messages either on the Mac 10.5 machine, or in the /var/log/cups/error_log on the Fedora 11 print server.

I added some debugging to the pap backend I'm using and see that the following error message is being returned by the printer:

%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: definefont; ErrorInfo: sfnts --nostringval-- ]%%
%%[ status: busy; source: LocalTalk ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Question #1: What do I need to change in the backed so that the error gets recognized by the print server and propagated back to the machine printing?

If I set up the same printer directly from the MacOS 10.5 machine over appletalk, I can print this document.

Question #2: What is messed up that is causing this error on the printer?

I've captured the offending PS file that the printer gives an error on, but have little experience debugging PS problems.