[cups.general] How to install CUPS 1.4.1?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 17 10:46:06 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:42 AM, Dimitri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please do you have any idea how to install CUPS 1.4.1 on Mac OS X
> 10.4.11?

This is not recommended and very likely won't work since we haven't
done any compatibility testing on that OS, which has a patched up
version of CUPS 1.1.23 on it.  I know that (back in the day) even
installing CUPS 1.2 would render most of the GUI bits unusable.

> Actually I try to share a Windows printer (Brother HL-2030, USB
> connected on PC Windows XP) with a Mac. But I can't print even if
> the printer is recognized by the Mac (files sharing, printers
> sharing and Windows sharing are activated on the Mac). That's why I
> try to install CUPS 1.4.1 thinking it could work when I print from
> the Mac.

CUPS 1.4.1 won't help here.  The issue is that the Brother printer
driver expects bidirectional communications with the printer, but that
is not possible when printing through a Windows box.