[cups.general] Best way to add remote cups printers to osx?

Jason Aladellocchio aladellocchio at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:02:32 PDT 2009

I've got a cups 1.4.1 print server which I shared the printers on to
Linux clients via ldap browsing without issue.     I've been asked to
look at making the same printers available to osx clients at the company
that I work at.    I'm unsure of the recommended way to handle this though.

I've taken a look at altering the cupsd.conf configuration on the OSX
machines and can via ether setting up ldap browsing lines or browsepoll
lines make the printers get listed via lpstat on the command line.
However gui osx programs don't show any of the printers unless I go into
  System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + -> select the printer -> add
and actually select one of the shared printers to add.   That then makes
it show in gui printers but I can't work out what changes at a cups
level to make it visible.

Considering I have 40 printers x  100 mac clients and most of the users
are the type that can't work out how to add a printer I'd like to find a
cups config that makes all the shared printers how up in the list
without any additional work being needed.  (and yes I now in osx 10.4
there is a 'shared printers' list available in the printers list, on
that 10.6 shows local printers in the print drop down for easy addition.
  unfortunately these clients are 100% 10.5.)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
-J

p.s.  The printer list changes every few weeks as printers get added and
removed so anything involving adding each printer would create a large
administrative overhead.   We really just want to make the osx printer
list autoupdate as the cups server changes (like how the linux clients do).