Using CUPS as queue for bash scripts

Oleg Volkov voleg at icqmail.com
Mon Sep 21 04:50:58 PDT 2009

Hi, All

A long time ago I've used an AIX printing system for sending jobs (batches) to job queue. In that example, there was a license limitation to not use particular software more than 4 sessions simultaneously. As a solution, 4 "job" printers was defined for the same print queue, and all jobs were sent to it.

Now, I have a similar task, but limited by hardware, Only one job can use this peace of hardware, but jobs will comes asynchronous from different sources without any locking mechanism. A concurrent job will fail.

I am wonder, if there is possible to define such "job" printer using CUPS ?

Thank you,

--
Oleg