[cups.general] authentication issues

Tomas Davidek davidek at ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Sep 22 03:58:28 PDT 2009

Michael Sweet wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Tomas Davidek wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>  thanks a lot for the hints. So I set "DefaultAuthType BasicDigest",
>> "Require user @lpadmin" and then run "lppasswd -a admin -g lpadmin".
>> But I still cannot authenticate to the system, looking at the
>> error_log I found a strange error message:
>>
>> E [18/Sep/2009:13:00:58 +0200] Authorized using Basic, expected
>> Digest!
>>

> That sounds like a bug in CUPS - can you file a report at:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php
>
> so we can track this?  My guess is that we are incorrectly flagging
> the authentication as Digest because we are consulting passwd.md5,
> when in fact we should be marking as BasicDigest or Digest based on
> the provided credentials instead.

OK, I've submitted the bug report. BTW, the same problem occurs when
setting "DefaultAuthType Digest" instead of BasicDigest.

Another question - you mentioned that Digest uses the HTTP Digest
authentication method which is not
universally supported in web browsers. How do I figure out whether my
browser supports it?

Best regards
               Tomas

           Tomas