After pm-suspend, my parallel port printer no longer prints

Reinhard Dunkel dunkel at sciencesoft.net
Fri Sep 25 00:35:43 PDT 2009

I use CentOS 5.3 (kernel 2.6.18-164.el5PAE). Firefox "http://localhost:631/" reports I am using CUPS 1.3.7 and one parallel:/dev/lp0 and one lpd://192.168.1.4/binary_p1 attached printer. The booting of this computer (with over a TB of disk space) takes too long. So I installed pm-utils-0.99.3-10.el5.centos.i386 to put the computer to sleep using its pm-suspend command. Hitting the computer power button wakes everything up again - except the parallel port attached HP LaserJet 6L no longer prints! The printer is still listed as "(Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared)", the [Print Test Page] button seems to work, and its job lists something like "completed at Fri 25 Sep 2009 12:43:39 AM". But nothing prints. The network attached Brother MFC-5460CN continues to print after the pm-suspend. I restarted cupsd, hald, acpid... anything short of a reboot failed to get the parallel port printer to print again. Any suggestion what else to try?