[cups.general] [cups.development] [RFE] STR #3344: Cups rewrites configuration files.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Sep 29 06:47:25 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Sep 25 10:34 Gene Heskett wrote (shortened):
> On Friday 25 September 2009, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>
>> As far as I know there is another config file which
>> is considered to be user-editable: /etc/cups/client.conf
>
> Unforch, some distros do not include that file.  Creating it and giving it
> the proper perms can be quite the exercise for a newbie..

I guess nothing is installed by CUPS' "make install"
so that there is no client.conf in the RPMs by default.

At least we (i.e. Novell/Suse) have our own client.conf
as separate source file in our cups RPM sources.

On the other hand I do not know to which extent non-YaST
printer setup tools (i.e. other distros) provide support
to set up what we call a "client-only" configuration.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex