[cups.general] [cups.development] [RFE] STR #3344: Cups rewrites configuration files.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 29 07:31:42 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Sep 25 10:34 Gene Heskett wrote (shortened):
>> On Friday 25 September 2009, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>>> As far as I know there is another config file which
>>> is considered to be user-editable: /etc/cups/client.conf
>>
>> Unforch, some distros do not include that file.  Creating it and giving
>> it the proper perms can be quite the exercise for a newbie..
>
>I guess nothing is installed by CUPS' "make install"
>so that there is no client.conf in the RPMs by default.
>
>At least we (i.e. Novell/Suse) have our own client.conf
>as separate source file in our cups RPM sources.
>
>On the other hand I do not know to which extent non-YaST
>printer setup tools (i.e. other distros) provide support
>to set up what we call a "client-only" configuration.

Generally, all I've had to do is generate the client.conf file where its
missing.  I don't recall having to jump through too many other hoops.

That file, from my milling machines kubuntu-6.06 install:
ls -l:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   lp     43 2008-12-16 12:15 client.conf
=================
# Client.conf
ServerName coyote.coyote.den
That is it.  I use a lengthy hosts file for local dns, mirrored to all
machines.

I can see all the printers here, at each machines <localhost:631/printers> in
a web browser.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I have a very good DENTAL PLAN.  Thank you.