[cups.development] cups-polld issue and cupsd segfaulting

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 9 13:22:26 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 11:34 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
> I'm looking into implementing reference count, but it seems like there
> are lots of places when mimeType() is being called, and it's sometimes
> hard to figure out what exactly is happening with the pointer -- is it
> stored in another struct or not, and when is the right time to free
> it. Do you have any advice on this?

In general, only the printer types would need to have any kind of
reference counting, which greatly limits the amount of change you'd
need.

That said, I'd much rather fix the actual bug instead of adding
reference counting just for this one situation.  More than likely this
would just mean removing all of the type and filter references before
renaming; alternately, we can delay deletion of types and filters
until the printer itself is deleted.