[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3326: CUPS prints only one PDF job

Jakub Schmidtke sjakub at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:32:37 PDT 2009

[STR New]

CUPS 1.4.0 with
http://www.cups.org/strfiles/3318/usb-backend-infinite-loop-on-end-of-job.dpatch
patch applied only prints one PDF job.
(Without this patch cups would consume 100% of my CPU).
When I try to print any other PDF file, my printer only blinks the LED
once or more (more for bigger jobs, one page PDF makes it blink once
only), and does nothing else.
I am able to print several txt jobs (some text from kwrite) all of them
print fine. However, printing first txt file just after printing PDF file
(failed or not) doesn't work. Printing second txt - works.

So, those steps give following results:

 1. TXT -> works
 2. TXT -> works
 3. TXT -> works
 4. PDF -> works
 5. PDF -> doesn't work
 6. PDF -> doesn't work
 7. TXT -> doesn't work
 8. TXT -> works
 9. TXT -> works
10. PDF -> works
11. TXT -> doesn't work
12. PDF -> works

I have tried CUPS with STR #3292 and 3293 patches, but they don't change
anything.

Restarting CUPS doesn't help, turning the printer off and on - helps.

Printer: Samsung ML-2240 (using Splix 2.0.0 driver for ML-1640 printer -
they're practically the same)
Software versions:
cups 1.4.0
hal 0.5.13