[cups.development] Color management in a cups raster driver

Laser, Curtis curtis.laser at hp.com
Wed Sep 16 11:37:17 PDT 2009

I am working on a CUPS driver for a color printer. The driver accepts
cupsRaster data (as created by cgpdfToRaster on Mac OS X). I have been
pouring over the CUPS documentation and have been left with some
questions.

There are two cups custom ppd keywords  to help with ICC profiles. The
first is cupsColorProfile which is deprecated. The other is
cupsICCProfile. These options provide for a single ICC profile to take
the color from source space to device space. Traditionally we have
used two tables, one goes from RGB to a device independent colorspace
and the second goes from that space to CMYK. I can combine these
profiles I suppose but it increases the number of profiles I must ship
with the driver due to the number of combinations. Is there any way to
specify a chain of profiles?

However, all of this may be moot because there is a note in the spec
that says none of the raster filters currently support ICC profiles.
Is this still true today, even with the filters in Mac OS X 10.6?

Are any specific actions taken by the printing system based on the
value of pseudo-setpagedevice key OutputType (other than setting it in
the raster header), or is that defined simply so the driver can use it?

Are any specific actions taken by the printing system based on the
value of pseudo-setpagedevice key cupsRenderingIntent (other than
setting it in the raster header), or is that defined simply so the
driver can use it?

And though it has nothing to do with color, I would also like to know
if any actions are taken by the print system based on the value of the
pseudo-setpagedevice key OutputFaceUp (other than setting it in the
raster header), and more generally what its purpose is.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis Laser