Increasingly frequent error "foomatic-rip failed"

Richard Rasker rasker at linetec.nl
Wed Sep 23 10:42:35 PDT 2009

> Richard Rasker wrote:

> > [snip problems with foomatic-rip]
> >
> >> Please post (an URL to) the PS jobs in question. From your error log
> >> snippets, it is clear that Ghostscript complained on PostScript errors.
> >> Without looking into these jobs, it is not possible do do further
> >> investigation.
> >
> > Assuming that those PS jobs are the files found in /var/spool/cups:
> >
> > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/d00906-001
> > (the failed Google Maps print job)
> >
> > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/d00907-001
> > (the failed PDF print job)
> >
> >> And, do not forget to post the PPD(s) you used, as there
> >> might be PS snippets defined that, insertet into the job, caused the
> >> error(s).
> >
> > Here's the PPD file:
> > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/epson_epl-5700.ppd
> >
> > I hope this is all the necessary information. And oh, thank you already
> > for the swift reply!
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Richard Rasker
>
> Well, the second job indeed does not print on whatseover device: the PDF
> file from which the PS job is generated sets rendering mode 7 to all text,
> obviously, which means the text is converted to a huge path and used for
> clipping. That results in too big a path for the implementation of this
> rendering mode. Without changing the design of the PDF, I think there
> is no hope to get it running.

So this would mean that the PDF file is basically not printable? This is really ironic, since it's an E-ticket, which absolutely *must* be printed to get access to a concert ... Ah well, I'll print a screen shot of the barcode ... and notify the organization who sent it to me (luckily the concert wasn't tonight :-)

> As for the Google map, the PS file is perfectly OK and prints well on a
> native PS printer (using CUPS 1.3.11). There indeed sems to be a bug in
> either your pstops filter (I have no experience with CUPS 2.x) or in
> foomatic-rip. To nail that further down, could you run from a shell
> cupsfilter -p your.ppd -m application/vnd.cups-postscript your.ps >
> output.ps
> where your.ppd is the PPD you sent me and your.ps the PS file you
> sent me, and post (an URL to) that ourpur.ps. It will then contain
> the data wihich get fed into foomatic-rip.

Alas, I can't find cupsfilter for Debian, and apt-file search doesn't turn up anything either. Perhaps it has another name under Debian?

Best regards,

Richard Rasker