CUPS to debit user account for printing charges - re.

bse bse at chalmers.se
Tue Sep 29 07:00:18 PDT 2009

> This is a school. Students print assignments, term papers. They are mnaually charged Rs. 2/- per printout. We wish to create (thru CUPS) a small database where we will store name of sudent, registration number, class and amount paid.

I do not speak for PyKota, and am in no way affiliated with them. I am just a satisfied customer of PyKota and CUPS.

You should use PyKota for this. Take a look at www.pykota.com
PyKota is a fully functional tool for accounting, and can easily be integrated into most infrastructures to automate handling of accounts, payments and so on.

We use PyKota at my university, and it currently handles more than 10000 active students, 450 printers, 3000 staff/faculty. Last year the users bought 350000 pages (100000 SEK, 4000 transactions) in addition to the 500 free pages each student gets every year, submitted 1600000 printjobs, was debited 15200000 pages. This was all done on one 4-core 2 GHz server with 16 GB RAM.

When everything is set up, it runs with no manual work. It just runs.

> As and whe they print through their respective account we want this amounto be debited. If the account has zero balance then CUPS should automatically put te job on hold to be later released automatically on sensing balance.
>
> We are using Fedora on a Linux Red-Hat platform and the current version of our CUPS is 1.10.

I receommend upgrading to current version (at least 1.3.x)