[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3353: Entering an # in Description field renders printers.conf unusable

Axel Schwarzer schwarzera at freenet.de
Wed Sep 30 08:32:50 PDT 2009

[STR New]

All printers carry entries like "Description: Ser#ATL5104672, T..." under
my current release 1.1.23 and I depend heavily on that.

While preparing the change to release 1.3.x I noticed that entering an '#'
(hash sign) renders the printers.conf unusable. CUPS still runs and is able
to use that printers.conf (you can even remove that #, but restarting cupsd
lets all printers disappear.

I have tested that behavior under openSUSE 11.1 with cups-1.3.9-7.2.1 and
a self compiled CUPS 1.3.11, but I'm afraid it's a more general problem.
CUPS is configured for de_DE.utf8 and both the operating system and the
browser were using that locale.

Please tell me which information you need.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3353
Version: 1.3.11