Kerberos Authentication on Linux

Jörg Herzinger joerg at global2000.at
Thu Apr 1 02:33:31 PDT 2010

> Yes, kerberos works in linux, at least in 1.3, and with patches in 1.4
> Yes, you need a keytab, and also point to it in cupsd.conf, keyword Krb5Keytab
> If you print directly to the printserver, your local host does not need a principal, only the user needs a kerberos ticket.
> Note that your username in kerberos includes the realm
> //Bse

Could you provide some more information on these patches? Why has that been removed in 1.4? What is the name of the service principal, I found a HTTP/fqdn at realm in my logs, but is this the correct one?
I would really like to use 1.4 since 1.3 currently makes a lot of problems with my printers and support for these problems should be better in 1.4.