[cups.general] Migrating from PrintPro4.5.12 to CUPS1.3.7

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Apr 2 13:44:56 PDT 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 1:27 PM, John Donovan wrote:
> I have a RHEL3.5 server running ESP PrintPro4.5.12.  We are migrating to
> RHEL5.4 running CUPS1.3.7.
> Most of our printers are HP LaserJet where an application prints PDF's.
>
> I had read somewhere that migrating from CUPS to CUPS can be accomplished
> by copying some config files.  I believe that was cupsd.conf and
> printers.conf?
>
> Is that correct?  Is it that simple withe PrintPro to CUPS?

As long as these are PostScript LaserJet printers, you can just copy the /etc/cups/ppd and /etc/cups/printers.conf files over. For /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, look for any lines you've changed and copy those over by hand to the new cupsd.conf file.

If you were using the PCL driver you'll need to setup the queues using the HP LaserJet Series PPD (laserjet.ppd in 1.3.7, drv:///sample.drv/laserjet.ppd in 1.4.x and later) instead of the Print Pro PPD since the old filter is not compatible with the later CUPS...