Uname and Pass with Windows IPP client

Roman2 roman.baron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:10:17 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to print from a Windows client to CUPS through IPP, which works well.

The problem is that Windows XP never asks me to enter a username or password for the IPP connection, and sends the client WinXP username instead. Thus I see the local XP machine user name in the CUPS printer job list.

I need that all users provide username / password for every print job or at least for every printer installation, so that the Job lists the authenticated user and not the local XP account name.

How do I configure the system to achieve this?

(Maybe) Relevant data:
1. Client on WinXP MCE Service Pack 3
2. Server (CUPS 1.4.3) on Ubuntu 7.10 (VirtualBox over WinXP Pro)
3. Both reside on the same subnet
4. CUPS printer configured with defaults (basic authentication)

Thanks,
Roman