Security via printers.conf versus cupsd.conf

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Apr 8 16:34:30 PDT 2010

After my run in with security in the web interface outlined in a previous thread, I'm left struggling to understand the differences between restricting user access in printers.conf versus cupsd.conf.  What is the difference?

It seems printers.conf can only take user IDs.  So what is the different between allow <username> in printers.conf versus Require <username> in cupsd.conf? Is printers.conf only for visibility or does it actually restrict access, i.e., if I only use printers.conf, and someone sends a print job to the IP address of the printer even though they could not see it in their application, will the job be printed?

If I use a name restriction in printers.conf and an IP address restriction in cupsd.conf, is it correct to understand that the user must be both the correct named user and sending the print job from an allowed IP address? Thanks - John