[cups.general] page-limit not working

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Apr 9 08:22:43 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 5:13 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> minutes and a page limit of 5 pages for the big plotters and 20 or 30 pages for the smaller ones.  Is this a reasonable approach?

Possibly; the issue you'll run into with the standard CUPS quota support is that we don't prevent a 300 page job from printing, but we stop it after we see the limit reached so you'd get at least 5 pages out before the job was canceled. Depending on the amount of buffered data that could mean that more pages actually get printed...

There are some third-party solutions on the cups.org links page that are worth looking at...

> We hit two problems.  We first tried to set the quota via lpadmin:
> lpadmin -p jasiii-LocalPrinters -o job-quota-period=300 -o job-page-limit=5
>
> This returned no error but also had no effect - no change to printers.conf.

Current cupsd will delay writes to printers.conf for a configurable amount of time (default is 30 seconds - see the DirtyCleanInterval directive) to limit the number of times we hit the disk.

> However, even after restarting cupsd, the limit appears to have no effect.  I merrily printed a 16 page job.  I did check the page log and it showed 16 pages (it is not a raw print job).  I searched this forum for information and saw an old post that said CUPS allows one job to go over the quota.  That right there seems to foil our goal of preventing one accidental job.  Is that true?

Pretty much - see above...

> In any event, I then sent three 16 page jobs to the printer in quick succession.  They all printed.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks - John
>
> PS - for kicks I tried setting the KLimit to 1KB.  It still took all three 16 page jobs.  Here are some pertinent configuration and log details:

Hmm, can you file a bug - clearly we don't want to accept jobs when we are over the limit, and the k limit should always work...