CUPS and windows SP3 client computers

Nikolay Kichukov hijacker at oldum.net
Fri Apr 16 01:02:00 PDT 2010

Hi all,
We have had CUPS serving shared printers for quite a time now without any issues. However, after recent upgrades of the clients from Windows XP SP2 to Windows XP SP3 the printing has stopped working.

After installing the fresh windows driver, the printer appears as "READY" and can print to the CUPS printer. However if the print spooler is restarted or the computer is restarted the printer starts appearing as "OFFLINE" and the client can no longer print.

Any one has bumped into this so far? Any solution? This happens on the latest CUPS version from the Debian Testing repo 1.4.2-9+b1.

It is most likely that M$ changed the way network printers are handled in their Service Pack 3, but what can be done to get those machines to be able to print to the network printers again?

Any suggestions - welcomed.

If you need further information, let me know.

Cheers,
-Nikolay Kichukov