Backend issues - usb

Peter Chant REMpeteOVE at petezilla.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 02:24:56 PDT 2010

Chaps,

I'm having problems getting my Brother HL2030 working on slackware64-
current.

If I pass stuff through the brother lpd print filter/cups wrapper script I
can get the files into a format that when passed to the printer print OK.  I
think it is a problem with the cups backend as I've put a kludge in the
cupwrapper script provided by brother:

/usr/lib64/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2030-pjc:

cat    $INPUT_TEMP_PS | /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter$PRINTER > /dev/usb/lp0

I do have a suspicion that this wrapper script is not finishing correctly -
if there were errors would cups tell me?

>From reading the documentation and my poor knowledge of Cups I am bypassing
the backend.  The print job appears to stall.  However, I do get my document
coming out the printer.

I suspect a problem with usb and the backend:

bash-4.1# lpinfo -v
direct scsi
network ipp
network http
network socket
network lpd

network smb

I've changed the permissions from 660 to 666 on /dev/usb/lp0 (user root
group lp) but still no difference.

Any pointers on how to sort out this issue?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk