[cups.general] Backend issues - usb

Peter Chant REMpeteOVE at petezilla.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 16:59:28 PDT 2010

Michael Sweet wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2010, at 2:24 AM, Peter Chant wrote:
>> I've changed the permissions from 660 to 666 on /dev/usb/lp0 (user root
>> group lp) but still no difference.
>

> You didn't mention which version of CUPS you had, but CUPS 1.4 and later
> uses a libusb-based backend by default which accesses the printer through
> a different device file.

1.4.2

> You can always do:
>
>     cupsctl FileDevice=Yes
>
> and then use "file:///dev/usb/lp0" for the device URI.

Ran cupctl FileDevice=Yes, however, going into the admin menu -
http://localhost:631/admin/ my printer does not show up.  Either before or
after restarting cups.

lpinfo - v still does not show it.  Without poking around in the internals
of cups I can't see anywhere to manually enter file:///dev/usb/lp0.  (should
that be a double or triple slash?).

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk