[cups.general] Backend issues - usb

Peter Chant REMpeteOVE at petezilla.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 02:33:28 PDT 2010

Michael Sweet wrote:

> You should see "file" in the list of URIs, if not just choose "socket" and
> then change the URI to use a file scheme.

File did not show up so used socket as you suggested.  Printer then
installed and worked fine.  Unfortunately I would not have known how to do
this without asking here.

Thank you.

Its a GDI printer with linux packaged drivers that are 32 bit and use a
different packaging system than my distro - which "out of the box" is 64 bit
only.  So its a always a bit of a pain.

Works - that's the crucial thing.

For info it still does not show up from lpinfo:- but this causes no issue to
me.

bash-4.1# lpinfo -v
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct scsi
network socket
network smb
bash-4.1#

> There should be 3 slashes.

Makes sense, file:// and then the relative path.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk