Printing from CUPS to Win 2008 printer

Bryan Maupin bmaupin at uta.edu
Tue Apr 20 11:15:36 PDT 2010

We need to print from CUPS (v1.3.7) running on RHEL 5.5 to a Windows print queue on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.  We also need it to be encrypted.

As far as I understand, our options are LPD, smb, or IPP.  Can LPD or smb be encrypted?

I understand there are issues printing over IPP to Windows because it uses IPP v1.0 and proprietary authentication (NTLM, etc.).  Is there a way we could write our own backend/wrapper script (preferably in Python) to handle the NTLM auth and then pass the rest of the information using IPP (or something along those lines)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!