[cups.general] PageRegion not set (PPD from Xerox)

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Apr 21 12:48:27 PDT 2010

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) wrote:

> On 04/20/10 14:00, Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) wrote:
>> [...]
>> Maybe this might help:
>> I just did a little more testing -- the problem seems to occur with
>> 1.4b3, so I did a diff of 1.4b2 and 1.4b3.
>>
> Investigated further.
>
> The change that "broke" A3-printing was introduced in r8578,
> "One more pass at RequiresPageRegion code, this time I think I have it
> right." -- mike
> *g*
>
> I still feel that this is somehow a problem with that PPD (and not
> an error on mikes side), but for now I've just reverted the change
> of emit.c in r8578, and r9114 still behaves fine.
>
> cheers,

I've found what goes wrong with this PPD and CUPS. To work around this
issue,
insert into your PPD just after the line reading
*PSVersion: "(3011.106) 2300"
the following line:

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript   0 –"

This forces CUPS to treat the PPD as a "cups based driver" and thus to
emit the *PageRegion code.

The reason for the issue is, as you suspected, in cups/emit.c but due to the
logic
concerning the *InputSlot values: if the selected value contains PostScript
code,
both page size and page region code is suppressed unless the PPD contains
at least one *cupsFilter entry (explanation slightly simplified, I do not
quite understand
what it is good for).

Helge

P.S.: I'm not sure if I should file a bug on this issue.