Japanese text printing issue

Inno innomotive at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 02:12:40 PDT 2010

> > > Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > The standard CUPS distribution does not include fonts for Japanese, so
> > > printing UTF-8 text files directly will yield blanks for any
> > > characters not covered by the Deja-Vu fonts.
> >
> > Wouldn't that mean gedit/OpenOffice won't be able to print Japanese fonts (through CUPS) as well? Japanese text through these apps are printed just fine.
> >
> > Ramanujam
>
> On Ubuntu 8.10, the textfilter of cups is not configured for Japanese.
> Please try followings to configure it.

> <snipped>

> This is a problem on Ubuntu.
> You would better go to an Ubuntu forum.

Apologies for the >1 yr late reply.

I pursued the above advise without much luck. I temporary went ahead with a Windows setup at that time.

Now, while trying the same printjob in Ubuntu 9.04, cups prints the document just fine when I login in en_US but fails when I login in ja_JP. I am fairly certain that this is happening because cups is finding and using an incorrect font. I am using Serif and Courier New fonts in my application. The relevant fc-matches are:

konomiya at kuzuha:/usr/share/cups/charsets$ fc-match serif:lang=ja
ttf-japanese-mincho.ttf: "Sazanami Mincho" "Regular"
konomiya at kuzuha:/usr/share/cups/charsets$ fc-match Courier New:lang=ja
n022003l.pfb: "Nimbus Mono L" "Regular"

Can anyone please throw some light on this?

Ramanujam