[cups.general] Remote Cups Server and Java

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 22 13:03:10 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Karl Rossing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a cups 1.4.1 print server that is pushing it's printer list to 3 sun ray servers using:
>
> BrowseAddress @IF(xnf0)
> BrowseAddress srs1:631
> BrowseAddress srs2:631
> BrowseAddress srs3:631
>
> The cups print server and the SUN Ray server have a router between them.
>
> I'm able to print using FF/Thunderbird, OpenOffice and all the desktop apps without a problem.
>
> I have one application that only sees the default printer. The application uses java.

The problem is almost certainly the Java runtime - Sun/Oracle has a long-standing bug in their IPP implementation in that it doesn't support the "no-value" tag, among a long list of other things. Thus, as soon as they see something they don't support they abort the print...

One workaround it to do:

    lpadmin -p printer -o orientation-requested-default=3

on the servers; this should get pushed out to the clients automatically and allow the Java application to work...