[cups.general] PageRegion not set (PPD from Xerox)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 22 13:46:35 PDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Helge Blischke wrote:
> The reason for the issue is, as you suspected, in cups/emit.c but due to the
> logic
> concerning the *InputSlot values: if the selected value contains PostScript
> code,
> both page size and page region code is suppressed unless the PPD contains
> at least one *cupsFilter entry (explanation slightly simplified, I do not
> quite understand
> what it is good for).

It *is* simplified, but the current code is actually correct and the PPD is broken.

If your device needs both the InputSlot *and* PageRegion code embedded in the output, you MUST include the following in your PPD:

    *RequiresPageRegion All: True

The reason for this is that some PostScript printers support media detection such that you only request the input slot, media type, or the page size. However, since media detection is generally a hard thing to do (beyond size, anyways), Adobe also allowed for printers that needed to be told everything. Thus the RequiresPageRegion keyword.