develop custom text-only driver

David dwe at melexis.com
Mon Apr 26 02:58:06 PDT 2010

Hi,

I would like to develop a custom text-only printer driver. The CUPS manuals are not much detailed on this, can somebody advice any other helpful documents on this?

What I would like to do:
I have a system that generates plain-text print jobs that need to be passed through to the printer.

However within the "header" part of the my print job (first few commands) I would like to pass some printer configuration values, for example Page Size or Orientation or Resolution.

So my custom driver would have to offer a few Configuration Options in the Printer setup page (web-interface) and then do a little text processing in the filter.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.